Old 20-09-2006, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds
Ann in Houston Ann in Houston is offline

Default spawning media

I want to let my koi spawn, because I want new fish but I don't want to
quarantine them. I have prevented hatching by not providing cover, so the
eggs are eaten up. What do y'all think of this idea.
I thought of getting shower scrubbies and stringing them tightly on a cord,
like popcorn garland on a Christmas tree. Then I would hang them on the
side of the pond for the fish to rub against and to catch the eggs and milt.
They would be easy to gather up and move to a protected enclosure in the
pond for hatching.
Would this work? Would the eggs lodge in the net? Someone suggested buying
spawning brushes, but they are green. If they would work better, I would go
ahead and get them, but would they?
BTW, there is no real spawning season here. It stays warm enough, long
enough that they spawn throughout the year, except in the dead of winter.
Any other ideas?